Here is the next round of my survey of the best songs from each country participating the 2014 World Cup.
First, a review of the ground rules:
1. The song has to be released in or after the year of my birth (1981). Otherwise, Pedro Infante’s rendition of “Cielito Lindo” would win, hands down.
2. Regardless of relative quality, if I know of and like songs from a country, I have to chose one of them. This will hurt some countries. For countries where I know multiple songs/artists, I have allotted myself 10 minutes to make a decision on the best song.
3. If I don’t know songs from a country (marked with an asterisk*), I have allotted myself 10 minutes of internet research to find a song. This will also hurt some countries.
4. My rules for a band representing a country is roughly as intuitive as FIFA’s rules for players representing nations. (In other words, any remote affiliation may count.)
5. These choices are definitive of my personal taste in music, nothing more. Please share your favorites in the comments.
On with the show.
Group C: Colombia, Greece, Ivory Coast, Japan
Sidestepper – “Dame tu querer”
Very smooth song.
Honorable Mention: Shakira – “Ciega, Sordomuda” (especially for Shakira’s faceplant in the video)
Stereo Nova – “New Life 705”
Truth be told, I really wasn’t able to find anything that caught my interest before time ran out.
DJ Jeff – “Qui Cherche Trouve”
So, I chose this song for the obvious self reference (my name is Jeff). However, there were some other fun Coupé-Décalé songs.
Honorable Mention: I suspect there is some good music in Zouglou -type it into youtube- but nothing so grabbed me in time to not go with DJ Jeff.
Gonin-ish – “Muge no hito”
This song mesmerizes me.
That complete’s Group C.
If you’re from Greece, let me know some good bands.
The Rest of the Groups: