Here is the next round of my survey of the best songs from each country participating the 2014 World Cup.
First, a review of the ground rules:
1. The song has to be released in or after the year of my birth (1981). Otherwise, Pedro Infante’s rendition of “Cielito Lindo” would win, hands down.
2. Regardless of relative quality, if I know of and like songs from a country, I have to chose one of them. This will hurt some countries. For countries where I know multiple songs/artists, I have allotted myself 10 minutes to make a decision on the best song.
3. If I don’t know songs from a country (marked with an asterisk*), I have allotted myself 10 minutes of internet research to find a song. This will also hurt some countries.
4. My rules for a band representing a country is roughly as intuitive as FIFA’s rules for players representing nations. (In other words, any remote affiliation may count.)
5. These choices are definitive of my personal taste in music, nothing more. Please share your favorites in the comments.
On with the show.
Group D: Uruguay, Costa Rica, England, Italy
El Cuarteto de Nos – “Nada es gratis en la vida”
I’m surprised I hadn’t come across this band before, considering my taste in music from Latin America. They also have a fun cover of a song you may recognize: “Bo cartero”.
Honorable Mention: No te va gustar – “Llueve tranquilo”
Gandhi – Una Ilusión
This song has a nice charm to it.
Arctic Monkeys – “Brianstorm”
I love the pace of this song. Also, the lyrics are complicated, structurally, while never seeming forced. That’s a hallmark of Arctic Monkeys.
Vinicio Capossela – “Pryntyl”
I wasn’t feeling what I was finding from Italy, then this peach of a song comes along. Love it.
That completes Group D.
One thing I’m noticing, the majority of the songs I’m choosing are male artists/singers. I’ve got some women in the honorable mention sections, but Les Nubians were the only female-led group selected. I’m not sure the exact cause of this, but it probably comes down to my tastes. Like Group D, Group E is mostly countries where I will be choosing from songs I’ve never heard before, so I think I’m gonna make an extra effort to select female artists.
Did my choices for Group D reveal that I have no idea what I’m talking about? Let me know. Share your favorites.
The Rest of the Groups: