Here is the next round of my survey of the best songs from each country participating the 2014 World Cup.
First, a review of the ground rules:
1. The song has to be released in or after the year of my birth (1981). Otherwise, Pedro Infante’s rendition of “Cielito Lindo” would win, hands down.
2. Regardless of relative quality, if I know of and like songs from a country, I have to chose one of them. This will hurt some countries. For countries where I know multiple songs/artists, I have allotted myself 10 minutes to make a decision on the best song.
3. If I don’t know songs from a country (marked with an asterisk*), I have allotted myself 10 minutes of internet research to find a song. This will also hurt some countries.
4. My rules for a band representing a country is roughly as intuitive as FIFA’s rules for players representing nations. (In other words, any remote affiliation may count.)
5. These choices are definitive of my personal taste in music, nothing more. Please share your favorites in the comments.
On with the show.
Group F: Argentina, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Iran, Nigeria
Los Fabulosos Cadillacs – “El Matador”
If you’re in the know, this choice comes as no surprise. I love Los Fabulosos Cadillacs.
Bosnia and Herzegovina*:
Billy Andol – “Galileo”
Once again, the Balkans surprise with some nice indy rock. This time its Billy Andol, from Sarajevo.
The Yellow Dogs – “Dance Floor”
Dancing has become an issue in Iran, recently, so there is something to appreciate in this song and video. Of course, if I’ve learned anything from Hollywood, it is that Iran’s arresting of the ‘Happy’ dancers will be the downfall of the current regime.
Honorable Mention: Eendo – “Boro Vasat”
D’Banj – “Oliver Twist”
I have an irrational love for D’Banj, such that I even like Mr. Endowed, but what can I say? I’m the kinda blogger that your boyfriends wanna be. Also, I gotta give a shout out to my fellow obroni’s azonto. [Is it oyibo in Nigeria?]
This was a very enjoyable group. Some of my all time favorites are found in this group.
Who did I miss? Let me know below.
The Rest of the Groups: